The Silk Road Institute is delighted to announce the launching of the 2020-2021 Creative Arts Grants.
Canadian Muslim artists are invited to apply by submitting a proposal for a new artistic creation. Artistic creations include, but are not limited to, the visual arts (paintings, drawings, photography, sculptures, and architecture), literature (novels, poems, and playscripts), and media (documentary, film, and videos). Visual arts or media creations may potentially be showcased by the Silk Road Institute in Montreal and in additional locations.
Two awards will be granted, with a minimum of one award to be granted to a Quebec-based artist. Selected artists will each be awarded $2,500 to support the creation of their artistic work.
In order to be considered for the awards you must:
- Self-identify as a Muslim (this award is strictly non-sectarian).
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Note: Silk Road Institute Board or Executive members and their direct relations are ineligible to apply.
A three-member committee will adjudicate all applications. The committee will review the applications based on the following assessment criteria:
- The strength of the artistic concept
- The strength of the narrative associated with the artistic piece
- The artist’s prior contributions to the arts in Canada and her/his role in fostering diversity in the arts and cross-cultural dialogue
Selected projects may be exhibited by the Silk Road Institute at multiple venues, and images or excerpts of the pieces may be distributed by the Silk Road Institute via multiple communication platforms. The artists grant the Silk Road Institute the right to display and publish the artwork, according to the Terms and Conditions (see below).
Applicants must ensure that they complete the Application Form, and that their referee completes a Reference Form. The application form includes a description of the proposed artwork, and a portfolio of the applicant’s previous work. Please note that a single Reference Form is to accompany each application. If multiple Reference Forms are received for an application, only the first form to be received will be considered.
All forms are also available in French
July 31st, 2020
Terms and Conditions
All applicants agree to the following terms and conditions:
Applicants under the age of 18 agree to submit parent or guardian consent if awarded the Creative Arts Grant.
The applicant is the sole and original creator of their submission and resulting artwork and will hold the subsequent copyright.
If the applicant is selected, it is agreed that all funds awarded will be utilized solely for materials and costs related to the production of the artwork described in their proposal.
The applicant agrees to obtain all necessary authorizations required by law for identifiable individuals and photographs represented in their resulting artwork.
The applicant has the expertise, skills, and resources necessary to execute the submitted proposal.
All selected applicants grant the Silk Road Institute permission to display the resulting artwork:
- On the Silk Road Institute website.
- In print and digital media communications.
- In promotional materials related to the Creative Arts Grants, including third party articles and announcements promoting the Creative Arts Grants, with clearly identifiable credit to the applicant.
- In future exhibitions of the Silk Road Institute dedicated to the selected artists of the Creative Arts Grants and past Creative Arts Bursary winners.
All proposals must be submitted by July 31st, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST.
If the selected applicant does not accept the award within seven (7) business days following notification, the award is forfeited and will be granted to an alternate applicant.