Job Title: Podcast Researcher
Reporting to: Artistic Director
Location: Canada (remote, flexible work)
Appointment Term: Part time
Start Date: January 10th, 2021
Contract Fee: $1,680/month CAD for a 4-month contract.
Application Deadline: January 3rd, 2021
ABOUT SILK ROAD INSTITUTE
The Silk Road Institute aims to create and promote captivating and professional artistic and cultural programming that fosters cross-cultural dialogue and strengthens Muslim representation, visibility, and contributions within the Canadian cultural mosaic. Our vision is a visible and representative Canadian Muslim artistic and cultural presence that promotes understanding of rich and diverse perspectives. We are dedicated to making creative work that is intentional and inclusive.
Silk Road Institute is launching a new 6-episode audio documentary series with an aim to distribute a highly edited and beautifully sound-designed work for Canadian and international audiences. The podcast will be a deep-dive into the history of Muslim representation in the arts including the victories, struggles, and stories that have shaped the arts industries in North America.
We are looking for a Researcher with experience in serialized narratives to join our team who will oversee the development, packaging, production and launch of a new 6-part podcast series. You would be responsible for varied duties at every stage of production including but not limited to:
- Extensive research into the topic of representation of Muslim artists in North America and research of potential guests to include in each episode in collaboration with the Podcast Host and Artistic Director;
- Creative input and direction on the story elements of each episode including soundtrack, dialogue, sound effects, and editing;
- Assist with scriptwriting episodes and constructing episode narrative in collaboration with the Podcast Host and Artistic Director;
- Pre-interviewing guests to finalize scripts and creative direction of each episode;
- Assisting the Production Coordinator with managing booking and scheduling;
- Organizing recordings, reporting trips, and other key components of show production;
- Communicating with clients and production partners;
- Demonstrated interest or experience in extensive research in the field of the intersections of Art, Muslim Media Representation and Muslim storytellers;
- Demonstrated knowledge of North American podcasts and audio shows;
- Some experience producing audio content programs at a major podcast network, public radio station or digital platform with reach to a large audience and/or showrunning large scale film/TV/digital productions (ideal);
- Experience in reporting, field producing and thinking in narrative arc;
- Demonstrated understanding of the communities Silk Road Institute serves and interest in furthering the mission and mandate of the organization;
- Demonstrated ability to interpret data towards planning and developing documentary audio content;
- Excellent social, oral communication, and written/presentation skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
Submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Podcast Producer’ before the application deadline:
- Cover Letter
- Names of 3 References
Application Deadline: Mon Jan. 3rd, 11:59pm
We thank all applicants but only short-listed candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence. Silk Road Institute invites applications from all qualified individuals, but will prioritize applications from members of racialized groups/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.